Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mom Challenge Week 9


I was a teacher.  I taught 3rd grade until I had Blase.  The thing that annoyed me the most was parents that made excuses for their children!  You are not doing any good by being that parent.  

I understand when our children as young we sometimes have to make excuses for them. (they say something inappropriate or they just do not understand)  But I also think that there are only so many times that you can make the same excuse for your child.

Now after saying that do I make excuses for my children??  Of course I do in some situations.  Blase is not perfect I know that, but I also know that he will learn by making mistakes and missing out on certain situations.

I have a perfect example of this.  We did vacation bible school this year (our first time).  The teachers were handing out tee shirts from the past year (they only had a couple).  The teachers told the kids that if they do not follow directions they will not get a shirt.  My son did not get a shirt.  Now I had one of two choices.  1. I could pitch a fit and get him a shirt or 2. I could use this as a teaching lesson.  Blase did not get a shirt and he knew (and told me) exactly why he did not get one.  I chose option 2!  He was slightly upset.  I asked him why he did not get a shirt.  His response was that the teacher asked jim to sit down and be quite.  He told me that he sat down but did not stop talking.  So we discussed what he could have done to get the shirt.  Was he upset? Of course!  Did I feel bad for him?  Yes!  But did he learn a lesson?  YES!! You bet your butt the next time he will sit down and be quite!


Do you make excuses for your child?  How do you handle a situation where they miss out on something because of their actions or behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...